BACK IN THE SADDLE
At this time of uncertainty, some people will be feeling anxious/worried about the present and indeed the future. Many will have had horses out of work during lockdown and are now perhaps bringing them back into some form of an exercise regime which can be a challenge in itself! Mindset can play huge role in helping to make this a positive experience.
Here are a few points to consider which may help you along the way:-
- Set yourself small, achievable goals – now is not the time to be setting big, long term goals. Better to perhaps have daily goals of what you would like to achieve.
- Focus on what YOU can control, not on those things that are outside your control!
- Have a routine and a plan for each day that works for you and be consistent. This is also important for your horse.
- During difficult times, remember that it is not the adversity itself that is the whole challenge, it’s more the attitude you take towards it.
- Take satisfaction and pride in your achievements, however small.
- If you are feeling anxious or tense, try some deep breathing exercises, breathing deeply in through your nose and out through your mouth. This slows the heart rate and helps to activate the parasympathetic nervous system.
Practice this regularly, try to build it into your daily routine and particularly at times when you are feeling anxious.
Hope these tips will be helpful. Have a good week